We are delighted to announce that we are now licenced to provide non-contentious probate services.
Historically probate services could only be offered by solicitors. However, the ICAEW is now able to regulate probate services and grant licenses to firms.
It is practical evidence of the role that the Legal Services Board is playing in transforming the provision of legal services and giving more choice to the consumer.
As set out in the ICAEW’s policy statement, the objectives that will be achieved by allowing the ICAEW to license firms such as Brebners are:
- Protecting and promoting the public interest;
- Supporting the constitutional principle of the rule of law;
- Improving access to justice;
- Protecting and promoting the interests of consumers;
- Promoting competition in the provision of services;
- Encouraging an independent, strong, diverse, and effective legal profession;
- Increasing public understanding of the citizen’s legal rights and duties; and
- Promoting and maintaining adherence to the professional principles.
We believe obtaining approved status is a logical step for the firm and one that complements our existing services. In the case of many of our clients, we are in a unique position to complete the probate service due to our extensive knowledge of clients’ financial affairs, usually built up over years or even decades. We have often already provided inheritance tax advice and are familiar with the wills, structures, and other relevant agreements in place. This enables us to carry out the process efficiently, without having to ask unnecessary questions, at an understandably difficult time for the family. It is this established relationship with our clients that sets us apart from third parties – and also results in better value for money.
We also assist and guide new clients through the probate process and inheritance tax planning.
For further information, please contact one of our probate team (all of whom are authorised individuals):